Help in Emergency Situations

If you are an Austrian citizen in an emergency situation, contact the Embassy or a Consulate General. Please note that the Embassy is no substitute for the local police, an ambulance, and/or any legal institutions.

Please have the following information ready:

  • Last and first name
  • contact details (phone, cell, fax, e-mail)
  • details/circumstances of the emergency (when, where, and how)
  • contact person/-s in Austria

Austrian Citizen Service and Officer-on-Duty:

Austrian Citizen Service at the Austrian Foreign Ministry in Vienna: +43 501150 4411 at any time 24/7.
Austrian Embassy Officer on Duty outside regular office hours (for urgent matters only):
tel. 1 202 413 8181

If you seek advice on legal matters, you may also contact the Embassy's legal adviser (please inquire regarding possible fees before services are tendered):

Legal Advisor:

Florian Hauswiesner
Hauswiesner Law Group PLC
8280 Greensboro Drive 7th Floor, Mc Lean, VA 22102
Tel.: 571-341 8460, Fax: 571-341 8463



If you (an Austrian citizen) are arrested by US police and taken into custody, insist on the police notifying the embassy (the USA have entered into an international agreement which gives foreign citizens the right to contact their embassy or consulate). The Embassy can then help you notify your family and friends (in Austria) and find an attorney (in the US). Furthermore, consular officials have the right to visit you in prison and to write letters to you.
The Embassy, however, is not authorized to represent you or act on your behalf in legal matters before a court or any other legal institution.


Theft or Loss of Documents and/or Money in the United States

If you have been robbed or have lost your money and/or documents, please go to a local police station and file a report immediately. Do not forget to call your bank and credit card companies to report your lost or stolen cards (ATM, credit card).

The Embassy (in general) cannot lend you money for your stay or a return flight to Austria. Please contact relatives and friends in Austria and ask them to send you money either via Western Union (money can the be picked up at any Western Union branch) or, if this is not possible, via the Austrian Foreign Ministry (money is then given to you by a consular officer at the Embassy).


Emergency Passport

For your trip back home, the Embassy can provide you with an emergency passport. It usually takes at least 24 hours for such a passport to be issued.

You must present the Embassy with a copy of the police report you filed and any documentation that can help establish your citizenship and your identity (driver's license etc.). A passport photo and the passport application form must also be submitted.

Please note that you have to present your emergency passport to the Austrian authorities (in Austria or at an embassy or consulate abroad) after use in order to have it voided (deadline=expiration date of passport).


Death of an Austrian Citizen in the US & Probate and Estate Issues

If an Austrian citizen dies in the Unites States, the Embassy can help with the administrative proceedings (obtaining a death certificate, disposition of remains etc.). However, the Embassy cannot legally represent you. If the deceased has received retirement benefits from Austria, please do not forget to inform the Austrian Pension and Retirement Agency of his/her death.

Austrian and US estate laws are based on different legal traditions and are therefore structured differently. Austrian estate law focuses on the citizenship of the deceased, whereas US estate law (which may well vary from state to state) both concentrates on the deceased's last place of residence and distinguishes between real estate and personal property.

Austrian law states that an Austrian court will handle the probate/estate in the following instances:

  • real estate of Austrians and foreigners if property is located in Austria
  • personal property of Austrians (having resided in Austria or abroad) and of foreigners having resided in Austria before their death if the property concerned is located in Austria
  • personal property of Austrians having resided in Austria if property is located abroad

Real estate of Austrians (if property is located abroad) is not the responsibility of an Austrian probate or surrogate's court.

Depending on both where the property concerned is located (in Austria or abroad) and which court (Austrian or US) is charged with handling the probate/estate, different tax regulations come to bear (Austrian or US tax laws). In order to avoid double taxation, Austria and the US have signed a double taxation treaty covering estate and gift taxes.

In short, estate law are highly complex if estate laws of more than one counrty are involved. It is therefore highly recommended that you contact an attorney in both Austria (called "Notar") and the United States.


Embassy of Austria
Consular Section
3524 International Court, NW
Washington, D.C., 20008

Consulate Office Hours:
Monday through Friday,10.30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
(except on Austrian and U.S. holidays )