The 2016 Olympic Summer Games will be held from 5 to 21 August 2016 and the 2016 Paralympic Summer Games from 7 to 18 September 2016 in Rio de Janeiro
“True to its motto ‘at your service worldwide’, the Foreign Ministry is committed to providing the best possible service both for Austrian citizens planning to travel to the games as well as at local level in Brazil. The Foreign Ministry not only shares comprehensive information on its website but also provides the option of travel registration. I thus call upon all Austrians travelling abroad to make use of this travel registration service which enables us, if necessary, to reach them quickly and provide help and assistance”, Foreign Minister Sebastian Kurz emphasised.
The 2016 Olympic Summer Games will start on 5 August 2016 and the 2016 Paralympic Summer Games on 7 September 2016 in Rio de Janeiro. All Austrians planning to travel to Brazil are advised to prepare thoroughly for this trip.
Comprehensive information is shared on the travel information section on the website of the Federal Ministry for Europe, Integration and Foreign Affairs (www.bmeia.gv.at). Special advice and specific information relating to the 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Summer Games is also made available on the website of the Austrian Embassy in Brasilia (https://www.bmeia.gv.at/botschaft/brasilia).
- Before you travel we recommend that you obtain timely information on important travel-related matters such as visas, passport minimum validity period and vaccinations requirements.
- Consider taking out additional comprehensive travel and medical insurance that covers any costs of sickness, repatriation transport and ambulance services that may be incurred when travelling abroad.
- Be aware that planned events may be affected by disruption to public transport, strikes and demonstrations.
For all travel to and stays in Brazil during the 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Summer Games, it is explicitly recommended that you make use of the travel registration service (www.reiseregistrierung.at) provided by the Foreign Ministry. In the event of crisis or emergency, registered Austrian citizens can be reached quickly and assistance can be provided more efficiently.
The Foreign Ministry’s Auslandsservice APP (www.auslandsservice.at) is a very handy service that provides useful information before and during travel abroad, including travel information and travel registration.
If, despite having made careful preparations, you find yourself faced with an emergency or a crisis, the Foreign Ministry and the Austrian representation authorities in Brazil are available and at your service around the clock:
- The Citizens’ Desk/the Emergency Service Desk at the Federal Ministry for Europe, Integration and Foreign Affairs can be reached on: 0501150 4411 (when calling from Austria)
- The Emergency Service Desk at the Federal Ministry for Europe, Integration and Foreign Affairs can be reached on: +43 (1) 90115 4411 (when calling from abroad)
- The Emergency Service Desk at the Austrian Embassy in Brazil can be reached on: +55 (61) 98436 2222
- In case of emergency, the Austrian Honorary Consulate in Rio de Janeiro can be reached on: +55 (21) 9 7676 0505
Federal Ministry for Europe, Integration and Foreign Affairs
Tel: +43 (0) 50 11 50 - 3320
Fax: +43 (0) 50 11 50 - 213