ALL visa applicants must appear in person at the Austrian Embassy, an appointment is not required.
If you wish to have your documents returned by mail please enclose a self-addressed, stamped envelope (including postage for certified mail) with your application. We strongly recommend to use FEDEX or UPS. The Austrian Embassy will not be responsible for documents after they were mailed from the Embassy.
Required Documents For a Stay of Up To Six Months
- Schengen Visa application
- 2 passport photographs
- Your passport - must be valid for at least another three months after the intended date of travel.
- Letter of admission issued by Austrian school/university/organization and by your university in the US in case of an exchange program
- Proof of Fulbright Grant (if applicable; original version is required)
- Proof of lodging
- Proof of health insurance - letter issued by insurance company confirming complete coverage for the entire duration of your stay in Austria, minimum coverage in case of accident must cover health costs of at least USD 50,000 (copy of your insurance I.D. is not sufficient). Emergency coverage only is also not sufficient.
- Proof of sufficient funds (bank statement and/or confirmation issued by future employer)
- Notarized letter signed by one or both of your parents declaring financial responsibility (not required if you are able to financially support yourself). Please attach their latest bank -and/or income statement to this letter.
- Copy of your itinerary or round trip ticket.
- Consular fees: payment must be made in US$ per money order (payable to Embassy of Austria) or cash (exact change only please)
- If you wish to have your passport returned by mail, a self-addressed, prepaid return envelope should be included in your application.