Austrian Embassy Washington


Important: Before coming to the Embassy, please schedule an appointment!

Consulate Office Hours:
Monday through Friday,10.30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
(except on Austrian and U.S. holidays)

Please contact the Consulate-General/Embassy in charge of your your consular district (service area). If you reside outside the United States, please contact the Austrian Embassy or Consulate in your country.

Please click here for an overview of service areas in the United States.

Student Visa

Before traveling to Austria please remind yourself of the regulations concerning visas and residence permits. Find here a Guide to entry and residence requirements for foreign students.

Students from the U.S. and Canada, who participate in an academic exchange program or a Fulbright Scholar program (students, researchers, professors, language assistants) and are a citizen of one of the visa-exempt countries (find a list of all countries participating in the Visa Waiver Program at, do not require a visa for a stay up to 90 days. Passport holders from countries that do not participate in the Visa Waiver Program have to submit their application for an entry permit in person at the respective Austrian representation in the U.S. or Canada.

Please note that for stays that last from 91 days up to a maximum of six months an Austrian national Visa D (residence visa) is required. Visa D entitles you to stay up to 90 days within 180 days in the other Schengen countries. Any passport holder entitled to stay in Austria visa-free (because your country participates in the Visa Waiver Program) and not holding a Visa D is allowed to submit an application for a residence permit (for stays longer than 180 days) at a respective local authority in Austria. Filing the application for a residence permit, however, does not entitle to extend the maximum visa-free stay of 90 days in Austria and the Schengen area.

Students from the U.S. and Canada, who take part in an academic exchange program, a Fulbright program or other scholarship programs and are entitled to stay in Austria visa-free, can submit their application for Visa D (for a period of more than 90 but less than 180 days) during their stay in Austria at:

This procedure follows Austrian national regulation. If an application for Visa D during a visa-free stay (your country does participate in the Visa Waiver Program) in Austria is intended, the first entry point into the Schengen area should be Austria.

Required Documents for a Visa D (for a period of more than 90 but less than 180 days)

With effect of May 15, 2014 all applicants applying for a Visa to enter Austria, must submit biometric data (ten fingerprints). This means that all applicants need to schedule an appointment at the Austrian Embassy and must appear in person.

  • Visa D application form
  • 2 passport photographs
  • Your passport - must be valid for at least another three months after the intended date of travel.
  • Letter of admission issued by Austrian school/university/organization and by your university in the US in case of an exchange program
  • Proof of Fulbright Grant (if applicable; original version is required)
  • Proof of lodging
  • Proof of health insurance - letter issued by insurance company confirming complete coverage for the entire duration of your stay in Austria, minimum coverage in case of accident must cover health costs of at least USD 50,000 (copy of your insurance I.D. is not sufficient). Emergency coverage only is also not sufficient.
  • Proof of sufficient funds (bank statement and/or confirmation issued by future employer)
  • Notarized letter signed by one or both of your parents declaring financial responsibility (not required if you are able to financially support yourself). Please attach their latest bank -and/or income statement to this letter.
  • Copy of your itinerary or round trip ticket.
  • Consular fees: payment must be made in US$ per money order (payable to Embassy of Austria) or cash (exact change only please)
  • If you wish to have your documents returned by mail please enclose a self-addressed, stamped envelope (including postage for certified mail) with your application. We strongly recommend to use FEDEX or UPS. The Austrian Embassy will not be responsible for documents after they were mailed from the Embassy.

Latest Tweets


Surprisingly Ingenious

The web portal of the Austrian Trade Promotion Organisation is your gateway to all the information you could possibly need to do business with Austria.

Invest in Austria

Austrian Business Agency

The Austrian Business Agency is a government-operated consulting firm and the prime contact for international investors seeking information on Austria as a business location.

Office of Science and Technology Austria

OST Austria in Washington

The OST Austria in Washington, D.C. is bridging research and innovation between Austria and North America.