Information for Students in the U.S. and Canada / Exchange Students, Fulbright Scholars, etc.

Before traveling to Austria please remind yourself of the regulations concerning visas and residence permits.

Guide to entry and residence requirements for foreign students:

  • Students from the U.S. and Canada, who participate in an academic exchange program or a Fulbright Scholar program (students, researchers, professors, language assistants) and are a citizen of one of the visa-exempt countries (find a list of all countries participating in the Visa Waiver Program at, do not require a visa for a stay up to 90 days.
  • Passport holders from countries that do not participate in the Visa Waiver Program have to submit their application for an entry permit in person at the respective Austrian representation in the U.S. or Canada.
  • Please note that for stays that last from 91 days up to a maximum of six months an Austrian National Visa D (residence visa) is required. Visa D entitles you to stay up to 90 days within 180 days in the other Schengen countries.
  • Any passport holder entitled to stay in Austria visa-free (because your country participates in the Visa Waiver Program) and not holding a Visa D is allowed to submit an application for a residence permit (for stays longer than 180 days) at a respective local authority in Austria. Filing the application for a residence permit, however, does not entitle to extend the maximum visa-free stay of 90 days in Austria and the Schengen area.

Students from the U.S. and Canada, who take part in an academic exchange program, a Fulbright program or other scholarship programs and are entitled to stay in Austria visa-free, can submit their application for Visa D (for a period of more than 90 but less than 180 days) during their stay in Austria at:

This procedure follows Austrian national regulation. If an application for Visa D during a visa-free stay (your country does participate in the Visa Waiver Program) in Austria is intended, the first entry point into the Schengen area should be Austria.