Information for Students in the U.S. and Canada / Exchange Students, Fulbright Scholars etc.
Before traveling to Austria please familiarize yourself with the regulations concerning visas and residence permits.
Guide to entry and residence requirements for foreign students:
- Students from the U.S. and Canada, who participate in an academic exchange program or a Fulbright Scholar program (students, researchers, professors, language assistants) and are a citizen of one of the visa-exempt countries (find a list of all countries participating in the Visa Waiver Program at www.austria.org/visa), do not require a visa for a stay up to 90 days.
- Passport holders from countries that do not participate in the Visa Waiver Program have to submit their application for an entry permit in person at the respective Austrian representation in the U.S. or Canada.
- Please note that for stays that last from 91 days up to a maximum of six months an Austrian National Visa D (residence visa) is required. Visa D also entitles you to stay up to 90 days within 180 days in the other Schengen countries.
- Any passport holder entitled to stay in Austria visa-free (because your country participates in the Visa Waiver Program) and not holding a Visa D is allowed to submit an application for a residence permit (for stays longer than 180 days) at a respective local authority in Austria. Filing for a residence permit, however, does not entitle to exceed the maximum visa-free stay of 90 days in Austria and the Schengen area.
Students from the U.S. and Canada, who take part in an academic exchange program, a Fulbright program or other scholarship programs and are entitled to stay in Austria visa-free, can submit their application for Visa D (for a period of more than 90 but less than 180 days) during their stay in Austria at:
- Austrian Consulate General Munich/Germany
- Austrian Embassy Bratislava/Slovakia
- Austrian Embassy Ljubljana/Slovenia
If you intend to apply for a Visa D during a visa-free stay:
- Austria should be your first entry point into the Schengen area
- submit your visa application as soon as possible after arrival
- the period from the date of application until the end of stay must be more than 90 days
- complete the visa application process before the 90-day waiver period expires