Do You Need a Visa?

General Overview

The following overview should give you an idea of whether you will need an entry permit (visa) or a residence permit to enter Austria. U.S. citizens do not need an entry permit (visa) to stay in Austria as either tourists or on a business trip for a period of up to 90 days in any 180-day period.

Short-stay Schengen Calculator

Nationals of EU member states, the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland do not require a visa for entering the Republic of Austria. All other nationals require a visa in order to enter the Schengen Area or the Austrian territory. For stays of up to 90 days per 180 days these individuals require a Schengen visa, given that they do not take up employment.

Nationals of countries which signed bilateral or multilateral agreements on the abolition of visa requirement, are visa-free if they stay in Austria for a maximum period of 90 days in any 180-day period and do not take up employment. As a general rule, the passport must be valid at least three months beyond the planned date of departure from the Schengen area.

Nationals of the following countries are visa-free (non-committal information!):

  • Micronesia

  • Moldova*

  • Monaco

  • Montenegro*

  • New Zealand

  • Nicaragua

  • Palau

  • Panama

  • Paraguay

  • Peru

  • Saint Kitts and Nevis

  • Saint Lucia

  • Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

  • Samoa

  • San Marino

  • Serbia

  • Seychelles

  • Singapore

  • Solomon Islands

  • South Korea

  • Taiwan

  • Timor-Leste

  • Tonga

  • Trinidad and Tobago

  • Tuvalu

  • Ukraine*

  • United Arab Emirates

  • United States (USA)

  • Uruguay

  • Vanuatu

  • Venezuela

  • Albania*

  • Andorra

  • Antigua and Barbuda

  • Argentina

  • Australia

  • Bahamas

  • Barbados

  • Bosnia and Herzegovina*

  • Brazil

  • Brunei

  • Canada

  • Chile

  • Colombia

  • Costa Rica

  • Dominica

  • El Salvador

  • Georgia

  • Grenada

  • Guatemala

  • Holy See

  • Honduras

  • Hong Kong

  • Israel

  • Japan

  • Kiribati

  • Macao

  • Macedonia*

  • Malaysia

  • Marshall Islands

  • Mauritius

  • Mexico

*The visa exemption applies only to holders of biometric passports


Both information regarding special rules applicable for family members of EU/EEA nationals and the Visa Information System (VIS) can be found on the website of the European Commission.

The length of your stay in Austria determines whether you must apply for an entry permit (visa) or a residence permit.

If you are planning to take up employment in Austria, even if it is just short-term, please make sure that you obtain all the necessary work authorization papers and (if you are not self-employed) a letter from your employer in advance. Without proper documentation, neither a visa nor a residence permit can be issued.


Including the Embassy, there are three Consulates General in the U.S.:
New York, Los Angeles and Washington, D.C.

Which one to contact? Click here for an overview of our consular districts in the U.S.
If you do not reside in the United States of America (e.g. being in the U.S. as a tourist) you cannot apply for a visa at the Austrian Embassy or Consulates General. You must apply for the visa at the Austrian Embassy or Consulate in your country of residence.

Entry Permit (Visa)

An entry permit (visa) is issued to individuals who plan to go to Austria on a temporary basis. The stay must not exceed six months (in most cases) and you are not authorized to take up any employment in Austria. In general, an entry permit is not a work authorization. However, some exceptions to this rule - mainly concerning certain temporary job assignments - apply (for more information please visit

Please note that there is no legal claim on obtaining the visa applied for. In the event that changes are made to the application after it was received, additional fees will be charged.

If your country is not on the list of visa-free travel and your answer to one of the following questions is yes, you will most likely need an entry permit (visa) to enter Austria.

  • Do you pass through Austria in (airport) transit?

  • Do you intend to temporarily visit Austria as a tourist or to see friends or relatives who live in Austria?

  • Are you on a (short-term) business trip to Austria?

  • Will you take part in a conference or a seminar in Austria?

  • Will you attend a German language course (up to six months)?

  • Are you planning on studying or doing an internship in Austria for up to six months?

  • Will you be working as a guest professor at an Austrian university for one semester?

If yes, go to: Visa (Entry Permit)

Residence Permit

A residence permit is issued to foreign nationals who want to stay in Austria for more than six months.

If you answer yes to one of the following questions, you will most likely need a residence permit in order to both enter and stay in Austria.

  • Are you planning on moving to Austria for an indefinite period of time because you are retiring or you are married to an Austrian citizen?

  • Will you be transferred to your company's office in Austria for more than six months?

  • Are you planning on studying at a university/college or on attending school (grade 1-12)?

  • Are you planning on staying in Austria for a period longer than six months?

  • Will you be working as a researcher (as stipulated by Austria's "Alien Employment Act") at an Austrian university for more than six months?

  • Are you planning on taking up a one-year-job as an "au-pair" in Austria?

If yes go to: Residence Permit

Embassy of Austria
Consular Section
3524 International Court, NW
Washington, D.C., 20008

Consulate Office Hours:
Monday through Friday, 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
(except Austrian and U.S. holidays )