Marriage and Divorce

Important! Please schedule an appointment before coming to the embassy.


If the marriage was concluded according to the regulations and procedures of the United States the marriage will also be recognized by Austria. For details please contact the local authorities (marriage celebrant, registry of births deaths and marriages). In order to register the marriage in Austria, the US marriage certificate needs to be certified with an Apostille. Additonally, the spouse's passport and birth certificate are required.

Austrian nationals usually require a certificate of no impediment to marriage (Ehefähigkeitszeugnis) to marry outside of Austria. Please consult with the local authorities/marriage celebrant to verify which documents will be required.The Austrian Ehefähigkeitszeugnis has to be applied for at the relevant Austrian Vital Statistics Office (Standesamt) or at an Austrian Consulate, if the applicant resides in the US.

Austrian citizens keep their family name after marriage. If you wish to change you last name due to marriage, you can sign a name change affidavit at an Austrian Consulate (more information can be found here: Namensänderung - in German only).



In principle, the divorce of Austrian citizens issued by a U.S. court will be accepted by the Austrian authorities without any further complications. In general, divorced former spouses keep the family names they had during their marriage.

If, in the course of the divorce, you decide to change your name back to your former last name, you must sign a Name Change Affidavit and apply for a new passport at an Austrian consulate.

Please find more information also on  

Embassy of Austria
Consular Section
3524 International Court, NW
Washington, D.C., 20008

Consulate Office Hours:
Monday through Friday,10.30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
(except on Austrian and U.S. holidays )