Visa Application (Entry Permit)

PLEASE NOTE: Visa applications can now be submitted at the VFS Visa Application Centers in Houston, Miami and Washington DC. For more information and to book an appointment, please visit the VFS website. Applications will be accepted by appointment only!

VFS Global is an external service partner for the Austrian Embassy. Please make sure of the correct address for your appointment (the VFS Application Center Washington DC is NOT located at the Austrian Embassy!).

Important! You can only apply at the VFS Application Centers, if you reside in the consular jurisdiction of the Austrian Embassy Washington:

Alabama| Arkansas | Delaware | District of Columbia | Florida | Georgia | Kansas | Louisiana | Maryland | Mississippi | Missouri | North Carolina | Oklahoma | Puerto Rico | South Carolina | Tennessee | Texas | Virginia | West Virginia | U.S. Virgin Islands | Bahamas

Otherwise, please submit your application at the Austrian Consulate General with jurisdiction over your place of residence.

If you do not reside in the United States of America (e.g. being in the U.S. as a tourist), you cannot apply for an Austrian visa in the United States. You must apply for the visa at the Austrian Embassy or Consulate in your country of residence.

General Information

  • All applicants for a visa to enter Austria must submit biometric data (ten fingerprints). Therefore, all applicants need to schedule an appointment and must appear in person. Biometric data, along with the data provided in the visa application form, is stored in the Visa Information System (VIS) and allows Schengen States to exchange data (for more information please visit
    Information on General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)

  • Frequent travelers to the Schengen Area do not have to give new finger scans every time they apply for a new visa. Once finger scans are stored in VIS, they can be re-used for further visa applications over a 5-year period.

  • Please note that both your nationality (= citizenship) and the passport you hold determine whether or not you must apply for a visa.

  • Holders of Alien Passports, issued by the United States (USA), need a visa for Austria.

  • Holders of Refugee Passports, Alien Passports, and Permits to Re-Enter NEED a visa for Austria.


Schengen Agreement

Austria is a signatory state of the Schengen Agreement, which has lead to the abolition of internal border controls. With a Schengen visa, you may travel freely throughout the entire Schengen zone.

The following countries have implemented the Schengen Agreement: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

Find out more about Schengen

Airport Transit Visa (Visa A)

Whether you are required to apply for a Schengen airport transit visa or not depends on your nationality.

Citizens of some countries must hold an airport transit visa when transiting through the international parts of airports situated in any of the Schengen States, while citizens of certain countries must hold an airport transit visa when transiting through the international parts of airports situated in some of the Schengen States.

For current airport transit visa requirements and exemptions (e.g. Green Card holders) please refer to the website of the European Commission - Migration and Home Affairs.

PLEASE NOTE: If you need to go through passport control (this is the case when you travel from one Schengen airport to another Schengen airport) or if you have to stay overnight in Vienna, you must apply for a Schengen Visa (Visa C).

Travel Visa (Visa C)

If you intend to go to Austria as a tourist, to visit friends or on a business trip for a period not exceeding 90 days and your country does not participate in the Visa Waiver Program, you need a Schengen travel visa (Visa C). This visa is not a work permit.

Please note that in order to apply for a Schengen travel visa, your main destination (e.g. primary purpose of travel, longest duration of stay) has to be Austria. In absence of a main destination, Austria must be your first point of entry into the Schengen Area.

Austrian National Visa (Visa D)

If you intend to stay in Austria for more than 90 days and up to 6 months AND you are not a citizen of an European Union or European Free Trade Association member state, you need to apply for a national Austrian visa (Visa D).

During the validity of the Visa D the holder is entitled to enter, transit and stay up to 90 days in other Schengen countries.

Click here for additional information for students and visiting scholars

Application procedure

  • Before you file a visa application, please make sure that you need not apply for a residence permit to go to Austria.

  • According to the Visa Code, the application process can take up to 15 calendar days. Inquiries about the status will not be answered earlier.

  • Visa applications should ideally be submitted at least 3-4 weeks prior to departure. If the application is filed less than 15 calendar days before departure, the issuance of the visa on time cannot be guaranteed.

  • Applications cannot be submitted more than 3 months prior to departure.

  • ALL visa applicants must appear in person.

  • Minors under 18 years must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.

  • Please note that there is no legal claim on obtaining the visa you applied for. In the event changes are made to the application after it was received, additional fees may apply.

  • If you do not reside in the United States of America (e.g. being in the U.S. as a tourist), you cannot apply for an Austrian visa in the United States. You must apply for the visa at the Austrian Embassy or Consulate in your country of residence.


The following documents (if applicable) must be presented when applying for a visa:

  • a valid and signed passport or travel document (passport/travel document must be valid for at least three months after the date of departure from the Schengen zone. Further, your passport must not be more than 10 years and it must provide at least two empty pages.)

  • visa A and C application form, completed and signed or

  • visa D application form, completed and signed

  • supporting documents as per Document Checklist

What is “Elektronische Verpflichtungserklaerung” - Electronic declaration of liability?

If you are unable to prove sufficient financial means for your stay, your host in Austria can sign a declaration of liability for you.

Electronic transmission of data to the Embassy/Consulate by the Austrian authority: An individual legally residing in Austria can approach the local authority responsible for visa and residence permits (Bundespolizeidirektion, Bezirkshauptmannschaft, Polizeikommissariat) in order to sign a declaration of liability for his guest(s).

For business invitations, a representative of the host company/organization in Austria has to file an application with the local authority responsible for visas and residence permits for Austria (Bundespolizeidirektion, Bezirkshauptmannschaft, Polizeikommissariat). The Austrian authority will verify the identity of the host and review his/her financial status. Upon completion of the verification process and after signing the declaration of liability, an 8-digit ID-number will be issued to the host. This ID-number is required by the Embassy or Consulate at the time of the application.

Note: The Embassy or Consulate can access the data only 48 hours after the verification process, thus an application should be filed 2 days later only.


PLEASE DO NOT CALL THE EMBASSY TO INQUIRE ABOUT THE STATUS OF YOUR APPLICATION! After submission at a VFS Visa Application Center you can track the status of your application online.

Embassy of Austria
Consular Section
3524 International Court, NW
Washington, D.C., 20008

Consulate Office Hours:
Monday through Friday,10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
(except Austrian and U.S. holidays )