CAREERS & INTERNSHIPS
The Embassy of Austria in Washington D.C. is seeking a Front Desk Assistant
Location: Austrian Embassy Washington D.C.
Date of Employment: mid November 2016
Starting salary: US$ 36,000 to 42,000 gross p.a., depending on qualification and experience
This is a full time position. Salary and employment details will be confirmed upon offer of employment.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Greeting and assisting visitors
- Answering, screening, routing incoming calls in a professional and courteous manner and provide callers with general information
- Receiving and distributing incoming mail
- Preparing and recording outgoing mail, administrate postage account
- Assisting with administrative tasks, projects and Embassy events
- Responding to and assisting with maintenance and work requests in collaboration with facility maintenance companies, overseeing contractor's performance
- Security screening of visitors and incoming mail as needed
- Matters of personnel and building security
- Assisting with building management
Qualified candidates will have several years related experience, as well as excellent customer service, interpersonal, telephone and computer skills. Ability to identify problems and solve them. Work independently and effectively as part of a team with varying work hours. Strong organizational skills. Excellent verbal communication, knowledge of German would be an asset. Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
Please apply in writing by October 20, 2016 by e-mail only to:
Applications should include:
- A CV of not more than two pages
- A motivation letter of not more than one page
Please do not attach copies of certificates or references, as these will be requested at a later stage. Only applicants who meet essential requirements will be contacted for an interview. We regret we are unable to refund travel expenses.
Internships at the Embassy
Please note that all positions for 2016 have been filled.
Internships are paid and for the duration of 2-3 months.
Please note that the Embassy cannot offer internships during the summer months of July and August.
There are open spots for interns in the
- Austrian Press and Information Service
- Austrian Cultural Forum (read more)
- Political Department
- Economic Department
Requirements to meet the criteria of an intern:
- Austrian citizenship
- Active enrollment at an accredited university or recent completion of studies
- Good command of English
- Valid national insurance (accident insurance will be concluded by the employer)
- Interest in the particular field of work
The applicant will be considered if he/ she is
- A student who has already completed at least three semesters of academic studies and actively pursuits a Bachelor-, Master- Degree or a Magister Degree Program at an accredited Austrian or international university, college or university of applied sciences (Fachhochschule).
- A young graduate from 21 to 28 years, who wishes to seize more practical knowledge and competencies and gain further professional experience with an outlook within the described field of expertise. Everybody who, at the time of the internship, has completed a Bachelor- Masters and/ or Magister degree no later than a year prior to the commencement of their internship will be considered a young professional and is eligible for the position.
Interns need to cover the costs for accommodation, transportation and a valid health insurance in the United States (the Austrian student insurance meets these conditions). There is no possibility towards gainful employment after the expiration of the internship.
Please submit a current CV and a cover letter stating your interests and your preferred area of work (department). Applicants will be informed via e-mail regarding the status of their application. Due to the large number of applications, we recommend filing with us in a timely fashion. The Embassy can not guarantee preferred time slots or placement with a specific department, but will do its best to accommodate candidates based on their preferences.
Please submit your application in German language to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A motivation letter in English must be submitted in addition to your German application materials.
More Information on Departments & Duties
Austrian Press & Information Service
The Austrian Press & Information Service invites applications from motivated individuals with strong research and writing skills, and an interest in the theory and practice of new media and public diplomacy. Our office produces several publications both in print and online, closely monitors and evaluates developments in the field of public diplomacy, the U.S. media scene and issues pertaining to the freedom of the press, Internet freedom, and the applications of new media in foreign relations and diplomacy. Candidates for internships should possess a solid academic background either in law, the social sciences or the liberal arts and related subjects and ideally are digital natives with an interest in the before mentioned issue areas. Duties include research, drafting of papers and reports, attending relevant meetings at think tanks, etc, as well as assistance with the everyday tasks of the Press & Information Service. Fluency in German and English is essential.
Austrian Cultural Forum at the Austrian Embassy in Washington, DC
The Economic Department invites applications from motivated individuals with strong research and writing skills, and an interest in economic and political affairs. The Economic Department monitors and assesses current developments with particular regard to international and regional trade agreements, the transatlantic economic partnership, budgetary policies and socioeconomic phenomena in the U.S. Candidates for internships should possess a solid academic background either in law, economics, international relations and related subjects. Duties include research, drafting of papers and reports, attending relevant meetings at think tanks, government agencies etc., as well as assistance with the everyday tasks of the Economic Department. Fluency in German and English is necessary.