Austrian Citizenship

Important! Please schedule an appointment before coming to the embassy.

General Information

The information provided on this page is intended to give a general overview on how to obtain Austrian citizenship. Due to the complexity of the Austrian Citizenship Act (1985) (Staatsbürgerschaftsgesetz, available in German only), not all the specific regulations and exceptions will be described in their entirety and in detail.

For additional information, please contact the competent Provincial Government Authority:

Kärnten [Carinthia]
Niederösterreich [Lower Austria]
Steiermark [Styria]
Tirol [Tyrol]
Oberösterreich [Upper Austria]
Wien [Vienna]

or visit

Records of citizenship are kept by the competent local authorities:

a) Persons born before 1 July 1966:

  • in case of birth in Austria, the local authority of the place of birth

  • in case of birth in a foreign country, the City of Vienna

b) Persons born on or after July 1, 1966:

the local authority of the municipality, where the relevant person's mother had her domicile (according to the certificate of birth of the relevant person)

  • if the domicile of the mother was in a foreign country, the city of Vienna

  • if the domicile of the mother was in a foreign country, but the relevant person's place


Certificate of Citizenship

The Certificate of Citizenship is the only official document offering proof of your Austrian citizenship. The issuance of a citizenship certificate for a minor is free of charge within the first two years after the child's birth (application must be filed in time to include processing time).

The following documents must be presented in any case:

  • Application form - dated and signed by the applicant. In case of children under 18, application must be signed by parents either at the embassy or before a notary public.

  • Affidavit for adults or affidavit for minors - completed and signed either at the embassy or before a notary public.

  • Original birth certificate of the applicant with apostille (American birth certificates must show the city/town of birth, not just the county: "long form", "book copy").

  • Original birth certificates of his/her parents (American birth certificates must show the city/town of birth, not just the county: "long form", "book copy").

  • If this is a replacement application of a lost or stolen certificate: copy of the applicant's certificate of citizenship, if possible

  • If this is an application due to name change: applicant's original of the certificate of citizenship

  • Original of the certificate of citizenship of his/her Austrian parent(s)

  • Original marriage certificate with apostille and/or divorce decree (including custodial agreement) of parents (if applicable).

  • Original marriage certificate with apostille and/or divorce decree of the applicant (if applicable).

  • Original Permanent Resident Card or valid visa of the applicant (if applicable)

  • Original Permanent Resident Card or valid visa of the applicant's Austrian parent(s) (if applicable).

  • Proof of current residence/primary address (US driver’s license, utility bill, etc.) of applicant and/or parent(s)

  • Consular fee may be paid in cash, as postal money order or cashier's check. Credit/Debit cards and personal checks cannot be accepted.

  • Self-addressed and prepaid envelope (preferably USPS Priority) if you want your passport returned by U.S. mail. FedEx envelopes or shipping labels need to be prepaid; labels which only show a credit card number cannot be accepted. "Bill Sender" option on FedEx labels will not be accepted.

This document can be applied for in person by appointment only or through postal mail (in this case all signatures must be notarized). The original documents must be sent to the embassy, however the embassy will accept notarized copies of the passports, permanent resident cards/visas, driver's licenses or other photo IDs required to process this application.

The Embassy cannot be held liable for any loss or theft of documents while handled by a mail/postal service.

Note: Please check "Certification of Documents" for more information on apostilles.

For further information please visit:


Dual Citizenship Information:

In general, the Austrian Nationality Act does not allow dual citizenship except for persons who obtain two citizenships at the time they were born (e.g. a person born to Austrians living in the US acquires both Austrian and US citizenships at the time of birth).
Thus, if a person acquires US citizenship, he/she usually has to renounce the actual citizenship he/she is holding.

The only exception is stated in Section 28 of the Austrian Nationality Act:

a) if the maintenance is in the interest of the Republic of Austria, or

b) if personal reasons are worth considering (the law does not provide for examples; the specific reasons depend on your own individual situation).

Only born Austrians may make use of this legal provision stated under b). For additional information please visit or contact the office of the responsible provincial government authority ("Landesregierung").


Losing Austrian Citizenship

Acquiring foreign citizenship:
An Austrian citizen applying for foreign citizenship will automatically lose his/her Austrian citizenship upon obtaining foreign citizenship. Minor children born in wedlock usually also lose their Austrian citizenship (because of their parents' losing theirs).

Entering the armed forces of a foreign country:
An Austrian national voluntarily entering the armed forces of a foreign country loses his/her Austrian citizenship.

An Austrian citizen both working for a foreign state and adversely affecting the interests and reputation of the Republic of Austria loses his/her Austrian citizenship. In addition, newly naturalized Austrians who do not renounce their previous citizenship within two years (as required) lose their newly acquired Austrian citizenship.


Re-Acquisition of Austrian Citizenship

Declaration based on Sec. 58c of the Austrian Nationality Act

All former Austrian citizens who were forced to leave Austria before May 9, 1945 because they had to fear or even suffered persecution by the NSDAP and/or the authorities of the Third Reich or they had to fear or suffered persecution because of defending the democratic Republic of Austria may re-acquire their Austrian citizenship by declaration.

Neither permanent residence in Austria nor renouncing present citizenship are required; no fee will be charged.

By virtue of a 1999 amendment to the Austrian Nationality Act it is now possible for persons who meet the above-mentioned criteria (lived in Austria and had to flee the country) and who were not Austrians but citizens of successor states of the Austro-Hungarian Empire to also become Austrian Citizens. Fees do apply.

Former Austrians should present the following documents (originals):

  • signed notification form

  • birth certificate

  • marriage certificate(s) and /or divorce decree(s)

  • proof of legal change of name (if applicable)

  • proof of academic degree (if applicable)

  • proof of residence (driver's license, utility bill, etc.)

  • valid passport or ID

  • proof of Austrian citizenship at the time of emigration from Austria (Heimatschein, Heimatrollenauszug, old Austrian Passport)

  • U.S. (or other) naturalization papers

  • proof of date of emigration from Austria

  • personal and professional resume

Additional documents (apostilles, etc.) may be required.

Embassy of Austria
Consular Section
3524 International Court, NW
Washington, D.C., 20008

Consulate Office Hours:
Monday through Friday, 10.30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
(except on Austrian and U.S. holidays )